HP Itanium Redhat and Oracle

Pierre-Stéphane Baton ps.baton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 10:06:20 MET 2013

Skipped content of type multipart/mixed-------------- next part --------------
Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part --------------
Hello,

The Oracle decision to stop further developments on Intel IA64 (Windows
first, then HP-UX & Linux) has a major impact for a lot of SAP customers.

If you are running SAP instances on Oracle & RHEL with IA64 hardware, you
have two good reasons to move to a different hardware:

- Oracle release following 11g won't be released on IA64.
- RHEL6 has not been released for IA64.

So, if you want to continue to work with the broad Unix world, I would
recommend one of those solutions:

- RHEL running on x86_64 with Oracle if you don't want to change the
database.
- RHEL running on x86_64 with another database (DB2 or Sybase if you have
SAP Business Suite 7i2010 on SAP NetWeaver 7.02 (SAP ERP 6.05) ). Switching
to another database could decrease the TCO of your solution, with "free"
data compression, etc.
- AIX & DB2 could be another robust solution, with a higher TCO.
- If you are an Oracle fan, you should consider to switch to Solaris (SPARC
or x86_64) & Oracle.

Just have a look to the attached SAP NetWeaver PAM.

Personally, as a migration (heterogeneous) is an heavy process, I would
switch to a solution valid for the next 6 years, RHEL & Sybase (if you
are eligible) could be really interesting with a low TCO.

The Sybase support note:

1554717 - SYB: Planning information for SAP on Sybase
ASE<http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1554717>

Best Regards,

Pierre-Stéphane Baton
www.flexso.com