VMware and HA solutions

Euler, Christian euler at aov.de
Mon Mar 10 11:18:53 MET 2008

Hi,

AFAIK the VMWare HA tools provide high availability at operating system level. So if your hardware fails, you're fine because your guest system
will be transferred to another host. But if your application crashes (SAP in this case), you'll need a HA software that runs inside your guest system
and handles such situation by failing over to a standby node (which can be another VMWare guest system).

A good idea would be a combination of the two:

- VMWare HA for hardware failures (move the entire guest system to another host)
- a HA cluster software (linux-ha for example) to handle application failures (switch to a standby node)

Maybe there's a SAP Note which has more information on how to set up a clustered system..

Regards,
Christian Euler

AOV IT.Services GmbH
Bartholomäusweg 32
33334 Gütersloh
Tel. +49 (5241) 9463-101
Fax +49 (5241) 9463-55
eMail euler at aov.de
http://www.aov.de

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Gütersloh HRB 1265
Aufsichtratsvorsitzender: Bülent Uzuner
Geschäftsführung: Hans-Georg Oeser/Peter Schulte-Rentrop

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." (RFC 1925)