VMware and HA solutions

Marco Wiese mwiese at beit.de
Mon Mar 10 11:02:45 MET 2008

Hi,

VMWare HA is associated with a short downtime. Don't mix up HA and DRS:

HA: If you have an HA cluster (e.g. with 3 ESX hosts) and one host gets
isolated from network or goes down, HA will just boot the VMs on the other
both ESX hosts. Be aware, in this case you have a downtime! If one ESX
host dies, there is no chance to rescue the memory of the VMs, so they are
lost. For high availibilty they get started immediately on the other
hosts. In case of network isolation you can configure each virtual
machine, what to do. If you really loose your network (interfaces), the
virtual machines are up and running, but they can't be accessed from
network. So ESX gives you the opportunity, to shutdown and reboot your VM
(in order to boot on another ESX host to get access to the network again)
or stay running on the isolated ESX host.

DRS: This feature moves the virtual machine in running state to another
ESX host. In that case, no one will notice, your machine has moved. This
feature is to prevent high load on the ESX hosts in a cluster, so you have
a load balance all over your hosts. If one virtual machines gets heavy
load or memory allocation, the other virtual machines on that ESX host
will move to the other hosts in the cluster. You can configure this
feature in different gradations to be flexible with your load balancing
(regarding the number of hosts in your cluster).

I hope, you understand now, HA is not for high availibilty meaning, you
have no downtime. In case you have! But your virtual machines become up
and running in a few minutes after crash or network isolation.

Regards
Marco