VMware and HA solutions

Euler, Christian euler at aov.de
Mon Mar 10 08:58:56 MET 2008

Hi,

ESX is capable of migrating virtual machines on the fly between two hosts. I'm not sure if a guest system
is able to trigger a migration itself (by using the vmware tools for example), or if you need an external solution for such a
HA setup.

There's no downtime and your users won't notice the switch, because the migration process creates a shadow instance of the
running guest in the target system and then only needs a few seconds to switch over network connection etc.

If you're using SLES10, the combination of Xen and Linux-HA could be a another solution for a clustered setup. We're currently
evaluating this, and it seems that Xen causes less overhead than VMWare.

Regards,
Christian Euler

AOV IT.Services GmbH
Bartholomäusweg 32
33334 Gütersloh
Tel. +49 (5241) 9463-101
Fax +49 (5241) 9463-55
eMail euler at aov.de
http://www.aov.de

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Gütersloh HRB 1265
Aufsichtratsvorsitzender: Bülent Uzuner
Geschäftsführung: Hans-Georg Oeser/Peter Schulte-Rentrop

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." (RFC 1925)