Res: SAP R3 and Ubuntu Certification

Axel Braun Doc.B at gmx.de
Wed Feb 27 13:41:53 MET 2008

Am Mittwoch 27 Februar 2008 schrieb Euler, Christian:

> > Can you back up the assertion that Ubuntu is slower? Are there sap
> > specific patches that need to be applied to the kernel that SuSE and
> > RH do?
>
> I guess SuSE and/or RedHat kernels are more optimized for better I/O
> performance.

...I doubt that. But SAP themselves provides patches for carefully selected
kernel versions, and just upgrading to a new kernel (for whatever reason) is
not so easily possible.

What a business needs is a 'throat to choke' in case something goes wrong. If
SAP provides the support for certain versions, fine, it becomes their
problem. If you run it on an not-supported Linux-flavour (and get it up and
running at all), you are merely left alone if a problem occurs. No CIO would
take that risk!
[Of course you can specify support in a SLA, question is if the support vendor
can really do anything, if the problem is deep in SAP - not neccessary in
Linux]

Best,
Ax

--
Dr.-Ing. Axel K. Braun
Mobile: +49.173.7003.154

This mail was *not scanned* before sending.