SAP on XEN

Paul Chamberlain pdcnotes at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 26 09:38:20 MET 2008

I have no idea how zen works, but the VM needs to be able to virtualize
any privileged or device call the virtual host makes. It can only
virtualize what it knows about. If the virtual host has a requirement for
a driver that the VM does not support, there could be problems. My 2 cents
;)

Regards,

Paul D. Chamberlain
Office:    408-956-3135 (IBM Tieline: 475-3135)
  Cellular: 408-406-9424

"Euler, Christian" <euler at aov.de>
Sent by: linux.general-bounces at listserv.sap.com
02/25/2008 02:58 AM

<linux.general at listserv.sap.com>
cc

Subject
SAP on XEN

Hi there,

I'm going to play around with SAP on XEN (SLES10) and I've found a small
thing which confuses me a bit.

SAP Note 962334 says it is required that both host and guest system have
the same package patch level installed.
This doesn't make any sense to me, because the guest systems should be
completely independent from the host system when it comes to installed
software (at least to my understanding). The only real dependency that
comes to my mind is the kernel package...

Does anybody have a little bit more background information on this?

Regards,
Christian Euler

AOV IT.Services GmbH
Bartholomäusweg 32
33334 Gütersloh
Tel. +49 (5241) 9463-101
Fax +49 (5241) 9463-55
eMail euler at aov.de
http://www.aov.de

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Gütersloh HRB 1265
Aufsichtratsvorsitzender: Bülent Uzuner
Geschäftsführung: Hans-Georg Oeser/Peter Schulte-Rentrop

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead."
(RFC 1925)