SAP on XEN

SAP LinuxLab linux at sap.com
Mon Feb 25 14:45:27 MET 2008

On 02/25/2008 11:58 AM, Euler, Christian wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi,

> [...]
> SAP Note 962334 says it is required that both host and guest system have the same package patch level installed.

Please read the note carefully. It states, that

1) "Currently only para-virtualization will be supported."

and

2) "The package patch level on both host- and guest system *should* be
equivalent, although this is not possible every time. In case of
occurring errors SAP can advise the get host- and guest system on the
same package patch level before giving support."

> This doesn't make any sense to me, because the guest systems should be completely independent from the host system when it comes to installed software (at least to my understanding). The only real dependency that comes to my mind is the kernel package...

As the only allowed virtualization method is "para-virtualization", it
makes of course sense, to keep dom0 and domU packages, especially kernel
  and xen, on the same level. Updating only selected components of a
distribution (e.g. kernel and xen packages only) could also decrease the
stability of a system. Therefore, always stay on a complete update stack
provided through online updates of the distributor.

> Does anybody have a little bit more background information on this?

Please see above. I hope the provided information sheds some light on
your questions.

> Regards,
> Christian Euler

Best Regards,
   Hannes

--

* Hannes Kuehnemund
* SAP LinuxLab
mailto: linux at sap.com
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/linux

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Walldorf, Germany
Vorstand/SAP Executive Board: Henning Kagermann (Sprecher/CEO),
Léo Apotheker (stellvertretender Sprecher/Deputy CEO),
Werner Brandt, Claus Heinrich, Gerhard Oswald, Peter Zencke
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairperson of the SAP
Supervisory Board: Hasso Plattner
Registergericht/Commercial Register Mannheim No HRB 350269

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder
sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie
diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine
Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder
Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte
benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene
E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged,
undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have
received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any
review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited.
Please inform us immediately and destroy the original
transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.