SAP on XEN

Euler, Christian euler at aov.de
Mon Feb 25 11:58:13 MET 2008

Hi there,

I'm going to play around with SAP on XEN (SLES10) and I've found a small thing which confuses me a bit.

SAP Note 962334 says it is required that both host and guest system have the same package patch level installed.
This doesn't make any sense to me, because the guest systems should be completely independent from the host system when it comes to installed software (at least to my understanding). The only real dependency that comes to my mind is the kernel package...

Does anybody have a little bit more background information on this?

Regards,
Christian Euler

AOV IT.Services GmbH
Bartholomäusweg 32
33334 Gütersloh
Tel. +49 (5241) 9463-101
Fax +49 (5241) 9463-55
eMail euler at aov.de
http://www.aov.de

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Gütersloh HRB 1265
Aufsichtratsvorsitzender: Bülent Uzuner
Geschäftsführung: Hans-Georg Oeser/Peter Schulte-Rentrop

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." (RFC 1925)