Linux Migration and old backups

"Döhr, Markus ICC-H" Markus.Doehr at siegenia-aubi.com
Mon Mar 20 16:57:47 MET 2006

> I just wondered what one does with old system backups after a
> migration.
> We have HP-UX based installations which were backed up years
> ago (e.g. before the release upgrade from 4.0B).
> Those backups will be useless when we migrate to Linux and
> scrap the last Unix Servers.
>
> Does anyone have a clue on this problem?
> Do we have to export/import each "old" system we might need
> in future?

Yes... Because of the different endianess old backups can't be reimported.
AFAIK Oracle 10 has an RMAN option to support conversions (Metalink
243304.1), for MaxDB I have requested the developers to builtin a (maybe
undocumented) flag to enable byte swap during backup - but no success so
far.

I think Linux is available from 4.0B ongoing so older versions are anyway
not runnable under Linux - but you're right - your backups can be thrown
away.

Greetz,

SIEGENIA-AUBI KG
Informationswesen