Cluster/SAN filesystems supported by SAP on Linux

dballester at kernpharma.com dballester at kernpharma.com
Fri Mar 18 17:51:59 MET 2005

             "Prieto, Jose
             Manuel"
             <Jose-Manuel.Prie                                        Para
             to at realtech.com>          <linux.general at listserv.sap.com>
             Enviado por:                                               cc
             linux.general-bou
             nces at listserv.sap                                      Asunto
             .com                      Cluster/SAN filesystems supported
                                       by SAP on Linux

             18/03/2005 16:46

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone knows which SAN filesystems are currently
supported by SAP on Linux, or at least get references (OSS notes, links,
etc.) I can start looking at. I know there is few products out there in the
market. But I can't find anything about SAP support at Marketplace. Any
help/clue will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose M. Prieto
SAP Certified Technical Consultant
email: jose-manuel.prieto at realtech.com

Realtech Inc.
4659 West Chester Pike
Newtown Square, PA 19073
U.S.A.
Cell#: +1 (484) 410-6855
Phone#: +1 (610) 356-4401 ext 20

Hi / Hola Jose Manuel:

      Well, as far as i know, SAP is not 'interested' in what type of
storage is used. You can use IDE disks, SATA, SCSI, iSCSI, NFS... I can
recomend you a combination of QLogic devices with IBM SAN, HP EVA or Dell
storage, there you can get a range of price/performance. Once you get it,
you can create filesystems normally ( lvm ,ext3, jfs...) 'cause the SAN
devices will offer 'physical disks' to your Linux/SAP machines.

      It's important to get devices with open source drivers ( qlogic has
open source drivers for is fiber devices ) you will get more freedom when
trying to apply better patches for your kernels.

      For example, trying to minimize price, i could go to Dell and buy
some application servers for a reduced price, all connecting nfs
/usr/sap/trans, all relaying on to 2/4 Dell servers running Oracle 9i RAC.
All under LVM and ext3.

HTH

David Ballester Montolio
GNU/Linux user #206389