/sapdb on a smb mounted share?

Dale Wilson Dale.Wilson at axonglobal.com
Mon Aug 1 02:26:00 MET DST 2005

You can use the loop back device to mount a disk image stored on the
Windows box. Create a file on the Windows box that is the size of the
partition on which you want to store /sapdb. Mount a share that contains
the file onto the Linux server. Use losetup to map the file to a device
using losetup. Then format the device using your preferred file system.
Unassign the loop back device and mount using the loop option (mount -o
loop /windows/sapdb_image /sapdb, for example). This will be slow, but
should work.

Example:
Mount a share from the Windows box under /windows
dd if=/dev/zero of=/windows/sapdb_image bs=1M count=20480 (it would be
quicker to create the file using Windows rather, if you happen to have a
dd type tool handy)
losetup /dev/loop0 /windows/sapdb_image
mkfs.reiserfs /dev/loop0 (or mkfs.ext3 if you prefer)
losetup -d /dev/loop0
mount -o loop /windows/sapdb_image /sapdb

Or something like that