SQL Error 24988 -> devspace marked as bad

Mueller, Thomas thomas.mueller at sap.com
Mon Feb 23 14:17:29 MET 2004

Hi all,
I'm running a WAS 6.10 successfully on SUSE Linux 7.2 for several months now. I didn't have any problems so far (during installation or during developing).

The other day I was in the middle of developing and wanted to save a changed DDic structure. I saw the hourglass for a while and then I checked the system load and processes on my Linux server to see what was wrong. Only 2/3 of the normal memory usage was used.

A complete restart of the Linux and WAS didn't help. In the STARTSAPLOG I found the error "SQL Error 24988" which basically points to an I/O error. Had a closer look to the STARTDB log I could see the RC=2, saying that the R3trans program wasn't able to connect to the database. I checked the kernel log of the database and saw that a certain devspace (DATA0003) was marked as bad.
I tried to start the database (SAP DB 7.3) on it's own but it didn't work.

Is there a report or analysing which can analyse the problem in more details or is it a memory or hard disk problem? Who has any idea?

Kind regards
Thomas.