Probs install SLES8/ITS 6.20

Alexander Hass linux at sap.com
Fri Feb 20 13:04:53 MET 2004

Hello Mr. Flamme.

Werner Flamme wrote:
> when starting the ITS (6.20 PL8) installation on a SuSE SLES8 (SP2a
> applied) on a Dell  PowerEdge 6600, I get - right at the start of the
> installation - the message:
>
> ---snip---
> copying file /ITSinst/ITS/UNIX/LINUX_32/SAPINSTGUI.DTD... OK
> SAPinst installed in directory /sapits.
> starting SAPinst...
> ERROR      2004-02-18 17:03:40 [iaxxcsihlp.hpp:438]
>            main()
> unknown message name (controller.errorDuringInstallation) with parameter(s):
>   Problem: caught an unexpected exception.
>
> /sapits#
> ---snip---
>
> What may be the reason? The operating system was installed only yesterday,
> so there may be no bad things flowing around on the filesystem ;-)
>
> I am logged in as root with a C-Shell. The JAVA_ environment variables are
> set. Nothing running on ports 21212 and 21213.

I found OSS note #658298 refering to the described error message. It seems, the
SAPINST with version 622 can't run the intallation in a directory directly below
  '/'... Since you are running it from '/sapits', you could give '/tmp/sapits' a
try? Strange things...

Regards,
	Alexander Hass.

THE BEST RUN BUSINESSES RUN SAP