Problem connecting external databases

ARSNT0 ARSNT0 at terra.es
Tue Dec 9 11:13:31 MET 2003

Hi

We have a problem with an Oracle when we trying to connect to another
external database.
The issue is that we want to make a database link from Oracle 8.1.7 (on
HP-UX) where we have SAP to
another database Oracle 8.1.7 (on Solaris) because we need to retrieve
some data from this external
database to Sap. In fact, some people said us about the possibility to
change version (we did it from
8.0.5 to 8.1.7).
After that, we put into the tnsnames.ora file the reference to the
other database and when we tried to verify
the status of the listener, it "listened" to the external database but
didn't connect. In fact when we
tried to verify the tnsping we had a:

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

On my machine, on W2000, I installed other Oracle 8.1.7 and after wrote
some lines on tnsnames.ora (just this file)
with the reference to the host with Oracle/Sap, I could connect with
the Oracle/Sap without problems, even other
mate tried from the Oracle/Solaris and he did it. From outer to
Oracle/Sap it works but from Oracle/Sap to external
databases don´t.

What we have into tnsnames.ora file is this:

TST.WORLD=
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (SDU = 32768)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (HOST = sac_des)
          (PORT = 1527)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = TST)
       (GLOBAL_NAME = TST.WORLD)
    )
)

#we just put this lines
ORAFUSIO =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = gollum.intranet.ts.es)(PORT =
1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = ORAFUSIO)
    )
  )

And into the listener.ora file:

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL=IPC)
          (KEY= TST.WORLD)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (PROTOCOL=IPC)
          (KEY= TST)
        )
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (HOST = sac_des)
          (PORT = 1527)
        )
  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SDU = 32768)
      (SID_NAME = TST)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/TST/817_64)
    )
  )
)

When we try to know the status of the listener with the outer database
(with 3 instances):

> lsnrctl status orafusio

it returns:

LSNRCTL for HPUX: Version 8.1.7.4.0 - Production on 09-DEC-2003 10:33:36

(c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=gollum.intranet.ts.es)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=
(SERVICE_NAME=ORAFUSIO)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.0.0 -
Production
Start Date                01-DEC-2003 10:14:19
Uptime                    8 days 0 hr. 23 min. 23 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  OFF
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter
File   /opt/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log
File         /opt/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/log/listener.log
Services Summary...
  PLSExtProc            has 1 service handler(s)
  oradesa               has 1 service handler(s)
  orafusio              has 1 service handler(s)
  oraprodu              has 1 service handler(s)
The command completed successfully

But if we make the tnsping orafusio it happens an TNS-03505 error. And,
of course, we can´t connect to this database.

We checked (and rechecked) every parameter and definition but it still
don´t connect. What´s wrong? Maybe is something
from Sap (some parameter or variable environment) or simply we can´t
make this extenal connection (We will surprise if
we can´t).

This isn´t a Linux/Sap problem but I'll try if anybody knows.
Thanks in avance.

ARS