Settings for parameter file-max

Stephen.Martin at bmwmc.com Stephen.Martin at bmwmc.com
Tue Sep 17 15:14:22 MET DST 2002

Hello everyone,

We are running Linux application servers in production on SLES7 and IBM
hardware.  We have had to change the kernel parameter file-max from the
default of 4096 due to getting errors with the number of open files.  We had
adjusted this to 8192 and everything seemed to be OK, but now we are getting
errors again.  Does anyone have a rule of thumb for this parameter?

Thanks,

Stephen Martin
Senior System Administrator
Group Data Center Americas
Stephen.Martin at bmwmc.com <mailto:Stephen.Martin at bmwmc.com>

the sender immediately.

MIMEsweeper and Symantec Norton AntiVirus for the presence
of computer viruses.