Help configuring SAP R/3: transaction SM59

Thomas Madsen Nielsen tmn at tmnielsen.dk
Mon Sep 16 20:03:20 MET DST 2002

Hello Andrea and anyone out there,

please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know you can not do what you want to do.

In release 4.6c (and below) you need a middleware like  between SAP and your
MTA. The middleware can be the SAP Exchange Connector for Microsoft Exchange
server or a similar middelware for Lotus Notes. I don't think you will find
a middleware for Qmail.

On release 6.10 (SAP Web Application Server) I have a test setup where I use
Qmail, but this only works because of the new SAP SMTP plugin. In 6.10 you
have a HTTP plugin that makes your SAP system to also be a web server and
you have a SMTP plugin that makes communication with the MTA possible via
the SMTP protocol (without middleware).

Best Regards
Thomas Madsen Nielsen