Productive SAP on Linux

David Hull David_Hull at Jabil.com
Thu Jun 21 23:29:54 MET DST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree [mailto:lmb at suse.de]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 3:03 AM
To: linux-general at sap.com
Subject: Re: Productive SAP on Linux

> This is desireable, however you also have recovery times here if one
server
> goes down hard. (Namely the time for the clients to notice, and I am
rather
> sure the transactions currently open are still lost)

You are correct that in-flight transactions are lost.  Each application
server, however, can connect to the backup server at any time if it cannot
connect to the primary server (even if the primary server is not actually
down).  There might of course be issues with the consistency of the database
files if the primary node were in the middle of a write when it went down,
but that is, I think, a separate issue.

> This should be comparable to a normal failover. (Which is also available
for
> SAP DB which has considerable lower cost compared to Oracle)

No, the benefit here is that Oracle is already running on the secondary
node, and it already has access to all of the disks, so there is no time
involved for the OS moving resources and R/3 does not actually have to come
down.

> > We're currently testing this for our Tru64 production environment, with
> > plans to go to full-blown load balancing in Oracle 9i.

> Yes. I am looking forward to benchmarking SAP on 9i. We'll see whether we
can
> make that PrimePower database system go away from the SAP world record
> benchmark ;-)

I would very much like to see that!

Regards,
David Hull