Productive SAP on Linux

Andy.Geraerts at care4data.com Andy.Geraerts at care4data.com
Wed Jun 20 14:14:18 MET DST 2001

How long did this migration take? Is it by doing a database export-import?

We would like to set up a cluster. Anyone any idea if this is supported by
either SAP or Linux? How many nodes?
We have 2 buildings at both sides of the street. We would like to place a
server on both sides of the street. This must be virtually 1 machine. If
one goes down, the other should take over...

Thanks,

Andy.

                    Frank.Schraven at gmx.
                    de                         To:     linux-general at sap.com
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    owner-linux-general        Subject:     Re: Productive SAP on Linux
                    @sap-ag.de

                    20/06/2001 13:31
                    Please respond to
                    linux-general

> 1. Anyone running SAP on Linux in a productive system? We are about to
buy
> a new server farm and are deciding to go for NT, Linux or Unix. I'd
prefer
> Linux. We are currently running 40B on NT.
I did a productive migration from NT -> Linux. Customer had a 40B
Environement as well with a 70 Gb oracle database and about 80 productive
users. The
migration process itself ran rather smooth but you have to look for the
memory
profiles after the migration process intensively as under Linux (- as for
other u*x) the memory management is much more difficult as under NT where
SAP
says that you should let NT decide by itself what to do with memory. There
are
as well some minor bugs with the default profiles after installation. But
when you are done with these post migration tasks Linux is running very
stable
and reliable. But last - it's as always a question of money. I would prefer
64bit u*x flavor if you can afford this. If you're depending on Intel
hardware to save money I would prefer linux.

> 2. I installed the evaluation version of SAP on my system. Works fine.
But
> there are no business transactions possible in this setup. Is there a
> possibility to get a version which has the business transactions
> available?
Probably you should order IDES for Linux what should not be so difficult as
SAP customer ...

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Geraerts
> Care4Data NV
> Tel: +32 (0)11 370 371
> Fax: +32 (0)11 376 248

Sincerely

Frank Schraven

http://www.gmx.net

--
GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a