Productive SAP on Linux

Frank.Schraven at gmx.de Frank.Schraven at gmx.de
Wed Jun 20 13:31:00 MET DST 2001

> 1. Anyone running SAP on Linux in a productive system? We are about to buy
> a new server farm and are deciding to go for NT, Linux or Unix. I'd prefer
> Linux. We are currently running 40B on NT.
I did a productive migration from NT -> Linux. Customer had a 40B
Environement as well with a 70 Gb oracle database and about 80 productive users. The
migration process itself ran rather smooth but you have to look for the memory
profiles after the migration process intensively as under Linux (- as for
other u*x) the memory management is much more difficult as under NT where SAP
says that you should let NT decide by itself what to do with memory. There are
as well some minor bugs with the default profiles after installation. But
when you are done with these post migration tasks Linux is running very stable
and reliable. But last - it's as always a question of money. I would prefer a
64bit u*x flavor if you can afford this. If you're depending on Intel
hardware to save money I would prefer linux.

> 2. I installed the evaluation version of SAP on my system. Works fine. But
> there are no business transactions possible in this setup. Is there a
> possibility to get a version which has the business transactions
> available?
Probably you should order IDES for Linux what should not be so difficult as
SAP customer ...

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Geraerts
> Care4Data NV
> Tel: +32 (0)11 370 371
> Fax: +32 (0)11 376 248

Sincerely

Frank Schraven

http://www.gmx.net

--
GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a