Windows SE38 connection & Linux, Basis R/3 4.6B Demo

Christoph Rohland cr at sap.com
Tue Jun 19 13:50:07 MET DST 2001

Hi Alan,

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Alan Barker wrote:
> Can anyone help?  I've installed SAP R/3 Basis Demo 4.6b
> successfully on RH Linux 6.2. I can connect via network from my
> portable which has Windows NT & SAP GUI /Logon 4.6b & this runs
> surprisingly well. However, if I run SE38 the screen launches but it
> reports "Roll area too small" & any attempt to run anything from
> SE38 returns me to the top level screen.

It's a bug in the default profile:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/linux/eval_tips_lnx.htm#9

> I can run SE38 on the server under Linux by running GUISTART so the
> components needed to run it seem to be in place.  Are there any
> post-installation tweaks I need to do to get the Windows GUI to
> work?...

No, this is a server problem. Probably the windows gui initialises a
little bit different and leads to this error. (Just guessing)

> (my knowledge of Basis is very limited) and can anyone
> point me in the direction of any good books/documentation and Tips &
> Hints I can play with on my system?

You should read
http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/linux/eval_tips_lnx.htm for
this specific system. For general SAP knowhow there are a lot of books
out there.

Greetings
		Christoph