Report about Linux

Willi Nüßer wilhelm.nuesser at sap.com
Tue Jun 5 16:51:22 MET DST 2001

Hi,

comparing two platforms is generally rather difficult.
The hardware platforms used by most commercial U*Xes today
are much more improved than simple Intel hardware. This makes
a comparison based on simple performance data etc. not very
sensible.

IMHO there is some criteria which you should and could mention:
1) the ease of integration of Linux in an existing U*X landscape
2) the stabiliy of Linux
3) the price/performance ratio: this is usually much better than
with commercial U*X

NOTE:
with kernel 2.4 - whenever we can release one ... - and SAP 46D
the advantage of 64 Bit is less pronounced. So even on 32 Bit Hardware
you can donate more address space to your users than even R/3 currently
requires ;-)

Willi Nüßer
SAP LinuxLab

PS:
If you manage to convince your collagues perhaps we could get
into contact one day to create something like a success story for SAP on
Linux ...